With the holidays coming up, many shoppers will go into a frenzy completing their holiday checklists. And it is during this season that customer service is the busiest and most challenged of all departments.
As for online retailer giant Amazon, they have mastered the art of customer service and do it with a breeze, holiday season or not. And this is no surprise at all. With Jeff Bezos’ leadership, Amazon has consistently been in the Customer Service Hall of Fame for five consecutive years. Their “customer-centric” approach has won them many customers everywhere and maintained their loyalty. Amazon is known for their knack at creating more ways to ensure a positive shopping experience for all their customers, that’s why more people prefer buying from them than with other online competitors.
Let us share with you how Amazon wins in customer service, all the more during the holidays:
Immediate response and timely resolution.
Amazon values their customers’ time, which is why they make sure that all their concerns are met accordingly. Especially that, customers have too many things to attend to preparing for the holidays, doing their purchases online has become a preferred option than braving the crazy holiday mob. Amazon wants their customer’s shopping experience to be quick and efficient therefore, they have created channels to better assist them with their needs—making their customer service more easily accessible and mobile-friendly.
Increase workforce if necessary.
Since the number of customers increase around holiday season, Amazon announced that they will be hiring 80,000 temporary employees for the holidays to compensate for its expanding logistics and delivery. And being an online retailer, they would need more hands and feet to bring Amazon packages to their customers on time. With the busyness of the holidays, having more people in your team will allow more effective delegation of tasks and will let your employees focus more on attending to your customers.
Innovate customer service approach.
Customer service is not only how to respond to customer complaints but mainly creating a positive customer experience with every person who will encounter your brand. Amazon knows this too well, so they listened to their customers and looked for ways to reach them better. From delivering packages via Drones to developing the first ever “Mayday” button through their Kindle Fire HDX, they have opened an entire new path to improving customer service delivery.
So how can these Amazon strategies apply to your business?
- Start with evaluating how fast you respond to customer concerns. Revisit customers’ feedbacks about the quickness of your support. If you lag behind then improve on this first. Holiday season means hurried customers so an immediate and timely response and resolution will make them love you.
- Depending on the kind of business you have, review if increasing your workforce during the holidays can help you meet targets and focus on customers. Hire staff on contractual basis or temporary assignments to manage specific tasks. Many would be interested to apply for these positions, since a lot of people also look for an extra source of income just in time for the holiday celebrations.
- Develop your online and mobile support channels. With the development of technology, most customers who have access to smartphones and tablets prefer going through these channels rather that dropping in a retail store or speaking with a representative over the phone. Your existing customer will surely appreciate this gesture and it will also invite potential customer to shop with you because of the better customer experience.
- While it would take some time before your company explore using drones or starting your own shipping line, this advice from T.J. Gentle, President and CEO of SmartFurniture.com, can direct you to areas of customer service that you can innovate.
- Overall, holiday season or not, keeping your customers happy and satisfied is always the goal. So look into what will bring your customers good cheer this holidays that will create a lasting impression about your company. Do that and watch how they will continually patronize your business and even spread positive word-of-mouth about your brand.
Take it from Amazon, when you create a stellar customer service delivery for your customers this holidays, they will be loyal all throughout the year. You don’t have to exactly copy what Amazon has done, but simply connect with your customers and find what satisfies them. With these points to guide you and with an understanding of what your customers want, we are certain that your holidays will truly be the best time of the year.
Nowadays, the traditional landline phone customer service that businesses have may not serve your customers well—considering that we’re living in the technology era. Having customer support in other types of network such as through online and mobile are some of the customer assistance services we have, which can take your entire customer service to a whole new level. Learn more!